Re: Why licenses *are* free (was: Re: Why I don't share Manojs fears.

Hi,
>>"Marcus" == Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

 Marcus> On Sat, Aug 15, 1998 at 11:13:35AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 compromise. It is a better delinieation of the
 >> issue. I think things are not just black or white; and the verbatim
 >> section recognizes that fact. I think that the FSSTND is actually
 >> beneficial to Linux; and QT is not. Lumping them together is highly
 >> suboptimal.

 Marcus> I don't buy this. The Java kit is also beneficial to Linux,
 Marcus> although it is even more non-free than Qt. Pgp was
 Marcus> beneficial. Just because something is beneficial we don't
 Marcus> have to try to push it into Debian. I'm perfectly happy with
 Marcus> a beneficial non-free component, either software or document,
 Marcus> in non-free.

	Well, I don't buy the beneficial argument for the GPL either,
 then.

 Marcus> Things are not black and white in the software world,
 Marcus> too. nevertheless Debian has a clear definition, and
 Marcus> everything that fails is in non-free, regrdless of the reason
 Marcus> it fails. I like this.

	True. :et us then, have one standrd. Not one for the GPL, and
 one for everything else.

 >> Sorry. The same reasoning applies to the FSSTND. I know of no
 >> standard out there that would be allowed in main; that should be
 >> enough reason too.

 Marcus> Huh? We can stop to ship the FSSTND in main. This is no
 Marcus> reason to stop following the FSSTND. We also try to follow
 Marcus> POSIX, although I've never seen a copy of it.

	I think it is  a bad decision to stop shipping the FSSTND in main.

 >> We should not flip-flop from a high moral ground and accept
 >> anything pragmatism based on what document we look at.

 Marcus> I see the "verbatim" section as a pragmatism.

	I think we differ here. There is a difference, in my mind,
 between  documents that are non-modifiable (and there are lots of
 categories we have not considered that fit there as well -- opinions,
 stories, magazines, etc) and propreitery software. Verbatim is merely
 recognizing the difference.

	Including the GPL is pragmatism.

 >> Ship the GPL in verbatim, which is a part of debian.

 Marcus> We have not agreed on this. It was exactly my proposal, to
 Marcus> allow some very special and well defined exceptions in
 Marcus> main. This would make the verbatim section unnecessary from
 Marcus> my point of view.

	No. Main should be sources that everyone may modify with
 impunity. I think it is about time we took a stand on midifieability,
 and created a verbatim section.

 >> We can
 >> still ship stuff. As you say later, either we take a stance on non
 >> modifiable documents, or we don't. Putting them in verbatim seems the
 >> best solution practically.

 Marcus> And I say we should allow some exceptions, but generally hold
 Marcus> the line.

	That is a contradiction in terms.

 Marcus> Furthermore I say that license documents are a valid
 Marcus> exception.

	And I say it is not. Licenses have copyrights, just as
 standards do. Licences can too be put under rename if changed
 clauses.

 >> We can say that an immutable document, bundled with software,
 >> does not prevent the inclusion of the software in main. (Software
 >> programs can nver go in verbatim). So, packages can happily include
 >> the GPL with no changes. But a stand alone package, (say, containing
 >> /usr/doc/copyright/GPL), should go in verbatim.

 Marcus> This assumes that the verbatim section is part of main,

	No, this assumes verbatim is part of Debian.
free enough for our purpose. See again below.

 Marcus> 2) Legal reason

 Marcus> No copyright can restrict you on what license you choose to
 Marcus> put your work

 >> No copyright can restrict you on whatever standard your code
 >> chooses to follow.

 Marcus> Huh? What has this to do with this discussion?

	What does your statement have to do with the discussion?

 Marcus> My point was that I can use legal terms of existing licenses
 Marcus> to write my own license. I can't use existing standards to
 Marcus> write my own standard (verbatim), so your analogy does not
 Marcus> hold.

	You cannot make verbatim copies of copyrighted
 material. Licenses are copyrighted.

 Marcus> under. This means, whatever license I write, I don't violate
 Marcus> a copyright.

 >> Not true in the united states.

 Marcus> Here you are wrong, and therefore I snipped the rest of your
 Marcus> reply (it was essentially a repetition of the above
 Marcus> statement). Didn't you read the mail from RMS:

	I am not wrong. You are misinterpreting what RMS says. Ask him
 specifically if I can copy the GPL verbatim, and just change one
 word. Go ahead. And come back and tell us what he said.

 Marcus> RMS:
 Marcus>  "Yes and no.  There is a legal principle (in the US at least) that
 Marcus>   copyright cannot restrict what license terms you use.  So
 Marcus>   if you want a license which has legal wording somewhat
 Marcus>   similar to the GNU GPL, but somewhat different, you can
 Marcus>   write one."

	In other words, you cannot make cerbatim copies of the GPL,
 but you can write another license which achieves similar goals.

	I can write a standard that kinda does the same as the FSSTND,
 as long as I don't quote verbatim. Same thing. Licenses and
 srtandards are exactly the same.

	Under the law, just because POSIX says something, they cannon
 restrict my own standard from imposing the same restriction. Just
 like RMS said.

 Marcus> So, a GPL with a "free" copyright would gain you nothing, as
 Marcus> you'd have to remove the preambel anyway. The legal text is
 Marcus> not the problem, as you can always copy from it. If you argue
 Marcus> with fair use, or with the above legal principle, I don't
 Marcus> care.

	You are mistaken. You have not read what RMS said correctly.

 Marcus> [many things snipped]

 >> Precisely. But ``common'' laws are fairly uncommon, and change
 >> from country to country. Stick to the letter of the document,
 >> the spirit is different over here.

 Marcus> This will not bring us any further. We should always consider
 Marcus> common sense, too. For example, fair use is always allowed,
 Marcus> it does not have to be stated explicitely in the copyright.

	Fair use means only copying a reasonably small portion of the
 document for *personal* use, or as excerpts in something that talks
 about the document. Fair use does not condone plagiarism.

	No, the license and standrds are not distinct, at least under
 the laws of the united states.

	manoj
--
 Trust everybody, but cut the cards. Finlay Peter Dunne, "Mr. Dooley's
 Philosophy"