Re: Next Debian goals

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Yann Dirson wrote:

> * DTM support (Definitive Type Manager, formerly Debian Type Manager)
>
>   Federico di Gregorio: (La)TeX support is not yet ready.

Is there a URL for this one?

> * GPG as standard signature for packages
>
>   Marco d'Itri: probably GPG is not ready yet

I understood the outcome of the last discussion here to be that it very
nearly is.  In particular, I'd like to note that GPG supports idea and rsa
as loadable modules (which we could put in non-free).

> * Non-interactive package configuration available (not default)
>
>   Wichert Akkerman recently posted something like preliminary design
>   issues in deb-policy as "Configuration management and packages".
>   Seems Ian posted some ideas some time ago, too.

Don't forget COAS and Linuxconf.  Whihc may or may not be appropriate, but
must be worth looking at.

> * Others ?

Personally, I'd like to see better support for sharing directories (in
particular /usr/share, but also /usr) between machines.  Has anyone had
any thoughts on this?

Jules