Next Debian goals

Note: I take note that many people seem to agree we should not talk
about "release goals" any more, though I'm not sure this was
officially decided.  Hence the name change for this summary.

This list includes the items in my original "Chosing release goals for
slink" post, as well as submissions and comments from others in the
same thread, in no particular order.  I hope I missed none.

Note that I reworded the comments to make them short.  Please correct
me if I warped your thoughts.

My opinion is that we should have an official list of such goals, with
one coordinator for each, whose role would be to make individual
maintainers aware of problems with their packages wrt these goals.
Progress indicators in the WWW pages, for each goal, would be IMHO a
good PR move.

* FHS compliance

* PAM support

* docbase support

* No binary-section manpages (mainly 1, 6, 8) in `manpages' and
`manpages-<LANG>' packages, but in their relevant binary packages.

* DTM support (Definitive Type Manager, formerly Debian Type Manager)

  Federico di Gregorio: (La)TeX support is not yet ready.

* GPG as standard signature for packages

  Marco d'Itri: probably GPG is not ready yet

* Embeded signature of .debs, allowing to authenticate packages on
  install.

  Manoj Srivastava: MS give us a proof of concept - they do this on
    their net installs

* Bugs mentioned in changelog closed automatically upon package installation

* Developer controlled automatic archive maintenance (eg removal of
  one's own packages automatically after signed email with list of
  packages to delete)

  James Troup: probably useless; needs a lot of work for minimal
    gain.  People helping Guy should be enough.

  Martin Mitchell: it would still help archive maintainers.
    Volunteers to implement it if noone else really wants to do it.

* Lintian check by default at end of dpkg-buildpackage.

* All packages lintian-clean.

* Autocompilation support.

  James Troup: there is a lot of stuff already working.  Not
    everything can be automatized though.

* Non-interactive package configuration available (not default)

  Wichert Akkerman recently posted something like preliminary design
  issues in deb-policy as "Configuration management and packages".
  Seems Ian posted some ideas some time ago, too.

* Better package selection for large networks of Debian (eg easier
  centralized control/maintenance/install of 20+ Debian machines)

* Package descriptions in several languages.

  Needs dpkg support ?  Or only dslect/apt support ?

* Others ?

--
Yann Dirson    <ydirson@mygale.org> | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
isp-email:   <ydirson@a2points.com> |     support Debian GNU/Linux: