Re: bug #23953 ae: postinst does not check for errors

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
> The problem isn't in the postinst (I know neither of them use set -e) but
> in the preinst script. If that script fails then ae is not installed.
>
> All editors now use update-alternatives to place themselves in the
> priority queue for "editor". If update-alternatives is failing then none
> of these editors can be installed. This is clearly only going to happen on
> a "fried" system. If editing a config file or two will get the system back
> on track, I don't want them to have to use ar just to get an editor
> installed.
>
> If update-alternatives failes, the ae editor is not hosed,  only the
> "editor" link is useless. ae can still be called using the "ae" command.

Dwarf, I don't understand why you can't say:

  'update-alternatives ... || true'

while still having set -e.  This can be used to tolerate an acceptable
error in the particular invocation.

This is not a comment on whether 'set -e' should be stipulated in
policy, or whether your maintainer scripts are doing the right thing
or not, on which I have no immediate opinion.