Re: bug #23953 ae: postinst does not check for errors

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> wrote:
> But I don't want it to fail, because there is no reason for it to do so,
> and this editor may very well be the only one on the system! Failure of
> the install for the trivial failure to register as "EDITOR" is
> unnecessary, and undesirable.

Are there significant cases where it's important that ae be registered
as configured when update-alternatives failed?  [Considering that the
only difference between ae being unconfigured and ae being configured
is that update-alternatives is run?]

Perhaps there are packages which depend on ae which should only
recommend ae?

If there is such a case, then maybe it would be a good idea to document it:

update-alternatives ..... || cat <<END
Note: update-alternatives failed, but there are some important
cases where it's important to register ae as installed when
update-alternatives may fail:
 * ...
 * ...
END

Also note that you can get by without update-alternatives by providing
a symlink from that name to /bin/true

--
Raul