Re: Replacing/phasing out PGP (was Re: Idea for non-free organization)

On Sat, Jul 04, 1998 at 12:18:59PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 03, 1998 at 08:14:32PM +0000, Joseph Carter wrote:
> > However, I really think this should be in -announce or -devel-announce
> > since it affects more than just developers really.
>
> More than "just developers", eh? ;)

Yes. E.g. users that want to verify their latest and greatest download from
a mirror of Incoming.

> Joseph, some developers don't have time to read -devel, although they are
> supposed to be subscribed. All are supposed to be subscribed to and read
> -private, so private is the correct place for this.

No. debian-devel-announce is. -private is for issues that need to be
discussed between developer in private. debian-devel-announce is for
broadcasting information every developer should read.

> BTW: Has someone the capability to judge if gpg is *secure*?

Ian Jackson works in the area of cryptography; I'm not aware of other Debian
developers or users that have had formal education in cryptography.

> Is the algorithm the same as in pgp?

No (otherwise we'd still be stuck with the patent issue).
gpg uses well-known, non-patented cryptographic algorithms.

Ray
--
Obsig: developing a new sig