Re: Replacing/phasing out PGP (was Re: Idea for non-free organization)

On 1 Jul 1998, James Troup wrote:

> [ Replying to myself, whee ]
>
> James Troup <james@nocrew.org> writes:
>
> > If you want to generate a GNUpg key and send it to
> > gpg-update@debian.org, it'll be added.
>
> For, hopefully obvious, security reasons please PGP sign the mail.
>
> Also gnupg is still alpha software (as the 0.3.0 version number
> implies), there may well be bugs (in fact, just in the last hour on
> IRC, we seem to have discovered some) [But then hey, PGP has bugs, and
> the GNUpg source is 10x more usable/readable].  However I _do_ believe
> it's stable and bug-free enough to do what we need it to do as far as
> replacing PGP is concerned.

Firstly, from a raw numbers point of view, let me put my voice behind the
idea of phasing out PGP and replacing with (any free alternative, such as)
gpg as soon as possible.

It should be a no-brainer for any of our developers, since they must
support free software, or they wouldn't have got through the strenous
phone interview (James... ;-)

How about a message posted to -priovate (which everyone reads, right?)
suggesting that people download and generate gpg keys and submit them as
soon as they can?

This will take a few weeks anyhow, and when we feel confident that gpg is
secure, we can start accepting package uploads signed by gpg.  Eventually,
we deprecate PGP, and start refusing it...

Jules