Re: Replacing/phasing out PGP (was Re: Idea for non-free organization)

On Fri, Jul 03, 1998 at 03:55:16PM +0100, Jules Bean wrote:
> > Also gnupg is still alpha software (as the 0.3.0 version number
> > implies), there may well be bugs (in fact, just in the last hour on
> > IRC, we seem to have discovered some) [But then hey, PGP has bugs, and
> > the GNUpg source is 10x more usable/readable].  However I _do_ believe
> > it's stable and bug-free enough to do what we need it to do as far as
> > replacing PGP is concerned.
>
> Firstly, from a raw numbers point of view, let me put my voice behind the
> idea of phasing out PGP and replacing with (any free alternative, such as)
> gpg as soon as possible.

As soon as possible, yes.  Meaning, as soon as it's relatively stable.

> It should be a no-brainer for any of our developers, since they must
> support free software, or they wouldn't have got through the strenous
> phone interview (James... ;-)
>
> How about a message posted to -priovate (which everyone reads, right?)
> suggesting that people download and generate gpg keys and submit them as
> soon as they can?

I don't read -private.  I still need to get a key signed to become a
developer.  Working on that still.  =>  However, I really think this should
be in -announce or -devel-announce since it affects more than just developers
really.

> This will take a few weeks anyhow, and when we feel confident that gpg is
> secure, we can start accepting package uploads signed by gpg.  Eventually,
> we deprecate PGP, and start refusing it...

If mutt accepts gpg now, I'll probably start playing with it in a few days.