Question on conf files

A few of us have been talking about what exactly constitutes a "conf"
file.  Would someone with more experience care to weigh in on this.
Basically the question is from debian-mentors and regards whether the
app should look for a app.gtkrc file in /etc or somewhere else.  But I
would like a more broad discussion on what we feel a conffile is.  I
feel that /etc is getting filled w/ many useless conf files that could
prolly go elsewhere.  On many commercial UNIX systems, /etc is a place
to find system level config like rc scripts and inittab.  I know a few
people I have talked to were surprised at how crowded Debian's /etc was
(I was after my first install also).