Re: config file handling

On Fri, Jul 03, 1998 at 09:57:52AM +0200, Jens Ritter wrote:
> Another problem arises by the "extensive" use of /usr/share. The
> fsstnd says in Section 6.4:
>
> "One note: no program should ever reference anything in /usr/share.  For
> instance, a manual page program should never directly look in
> /usr/share/man/man1/ls.1, but it should refer to /usr/man/man1/ls.1 at
> all times.  Anything in /usr/share will be "pointed to" by the use of
> symlinks from other areas in the filesystem, such as /usr/man,
> /usr/lib/<something>, etc."
>
> I have >9000 files in /usr/share but only ~30 links to it on my system...
> (numbers by: find /usr/share | wc -l and
>  find -type l -print0 |xargs -0 ls -l |grep /usr/share)
>
> Has there been a policy decision to not comply to the note?

FHS has altered the usage state of /usr/share dramatically, many packages
are conforming with the usage as listed there.  Since we are migrating to
FHS within the next few releases, it has mostly been decided not to make an
issue of this.  You can find the FHS 2.0 at http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>