Re: Provides: emacsen ?

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:

So to summarize, you're advocating using Depends: to order installs
when absloutely necessary, but otherwise put the dependencies in
special files in the add-on packages, and then use a menu-like trick
to run the add-on package install/remove scripts (respecting these
dependencies) after the dpkg run.

I have a couple of concerns.

First of all, what do you do about multiple dpkg runs.  Say someone
runs:

   dpkg -i emacs20*.deb

and then as soon as that's finished

   dpkg -i calc*.deb

The problem here is that (without support from dpkg), dpkg finishing
is not the same thing as all the install/remove scripts being
finished.  So it would be a little tricky (and possibly dangerous?) to
allow a new invocation of dpkg before the old scripts are finished.

This also doesn't strictly address the issue concerning cases where
package A needs to have it's add-on package install script re-run
whenever package B is upgraded.  I'm not sure this matters though.  Is
this an issue?

I'm also a little concerned about the re-inventing the wheel factor
here (doing things like our own dependencies) that might belong in a
more sophisticated dpkg).

Thoughts?