Re: changelog vs ChangeLog and policy dictates

apharris@burrito.onshore.com (Adam P. Harris) writes:

> File renaming is up to the package maintainer.  Give us our freedom to
> make out operating environment better than anyone's!

I'm not trying to remove freedom. However consider it from the perspective
of an upstream author: they may not wish to see their docs hacked and
made inconsistent when they may have arranged them so carefully. Arguably,
no one knows a program quite like its author, and if they get silly
questions from users caused by unclear docs, they could get easily annoyed
with what a maintainer has done.

It might even provide a justification for distribution policies like that
used by Daniel J. Bernstein, author of qmail.

	Martin.