Re: changelog vs ChangeLog and policy dictates

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:

> Martin> I don't call changing filenames in original documentation
> Martin> easily maintainable.
>
> 	I find this hardly onerous at all. I have a rules file. It was
>  set up when I first set up the package. This aspect has never needed
>  to be changes. Why is it not easily maintainable? Why should anyone
>  tell me, at this level of detail, how to set up my packages?

This has practically nothing to do with debian/rules. It is about
renaming upstream changelogs, and having to possibly edit other files
in /usr/doc/<package> to reference that new upstream changelog name.
What I am suggesting is that a symlink is a better way of doing this than
a search and replace of filenames in other docs.

> 	I just ask you do not put us into a rigid policy position
>  unless the benefits are better defined, and until we are more certain
>  of the feasibility of a rigid policy.

It isn't a rigid policy position. I'd call it a strong recommendation, that
I'd expect to work for >98% of packages.

> 	I think I may have said I have to say on this subject.

You've had plenty to say, but I believe you have misunderstood my point in
the discussions so far.

	Martin.