Re: changelog vs ChangeLog and policy dictates

Hi,
>>"Martin" == Martin Mitchell <martin@debian.org> writes:

Martin> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:

Martin> While I don't say that 'one size fits all', as you seem to
Martin> suggest, if we are going to have a uniform name for the
Martin> changelog, we should implement it in such a way as to maintain
Martin> consistency with other documentation in the package, and in a
Martin> way that is easily maintainable.

	This may not always be feasible. I would go for inter-package
 consistency as far as changelog files are concerned.

Martin> I don't call changing filenames in original documentation
Martin> easily maintainable.

	I find this hardly onerous at all. I have a rules file. It was
 set up when I first set up the package. This aspect has never needed
 to be changes. Why is it not easily maintainable? Why should anyone
 tell me, at this level of detail, how to set up my packages?

	I still think that we shoul allow the maintainer to determine
 whther a symbolic link servers their package better, or not.
 Requiring or prohibiting the symlink is suboptimal.

	If you think the package is best served by a symlink, go right
 ahead. But that may not be true for all packages, past, present, and
 future.

	I just ask you do not put us into a rigid policy position
 unless the benefits are better defined, and until we are more certain
 of the feasibility of a rigid policy.

	I think I may have said I have to say on this subject.

	manoj
--
 Proclaim liberty throughout the land until all the inhabitants
 thereof. Leviticus 25:10