Re: changelog vs ChangeLog and policy dictates

Martin Mitchell <martin@debian.org> writes:
> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:
> > Martin> I don't call changing filenames in original documentation
> > Martin> easily maintainable.

> > 	I find this hardly onerous at all. I have a rules file. It was
> >  set up when I first set up the package. This aspect has never needed
> >  to be changes. Why is it not easily maintainable? Why should anyone
> >  tell me, at this level of detail, how to set up my packages?

> This has practically nothing to do with debian/rules. It is about
> renaming upstream changelogs, and having to possibly edit other files
> in /usr/doc/<package> to reference that new upstream changelog name.
> What I am suggesting is that a symlink is a better way of doing this than
> a search and replace of filenames in other docs.

I know this isn't a democracy, but I'd like to voice my agreement with
Manoj's position vis-a-vis your, Martin.  The decision whether to
rename or symlink an upstream changelog file should be the decisions
of the package maintainer.  Either way, some entity called
/usr/doc/<pkg>/changelog.gz must be provided (file, symlink, or hard
link).  Period.

> > 	I just ask you do not put us into a rigid policy position
> >  unless the benefits are better defined, and until we are more certain
> >  of the feasibility of a rigid policy.
>
> It isn't a rigid policy position. I'd call it a strong recommendation, that
> I'd expect to work for >98% of packages.

I don't think it deserves even that.

I personally have no problem renaming upstream files when the way they
are named is inconsistent and icky.  Cf the sgml-data package.
Sometimes, i.e., with the DTDs from the 'sdc' package, I had to rename
the files to prevent namespace collisions.

File renaming is up to the package maintainer.  Give us our freedom to
make out operating environment better than anyone's!