Re: Documentation as Software (was Re: PerlDL license)

On 16 Apr 1998, Stephen Zander wrote:

> I'm not sure that interpretation is valid.  Documenation is
> written text, not software, and the copyright requirements &
> protections are much clearer under both common law & statutes.
> IANAL though.

I have the same questions. I (and another developer) would like
to package some docs related to HTML/XML, for example the
HTML-4.0 specification, but the license imposed by the W3C on the
specification doesn't allow modifications. That's clearly non
DFSG ok.

I'm also having problems with the WindowMaker documentation,
because it's being maintained by ppl outside the WindowMaker
development team. One of the docs is the FAQ, which has no
copyright of any kind (at least not a clearly stated copyright).
The other is the Configuration Docs. Their original form is SGML
(linuxdoc), but the author only releases PS, info, and HTML. The
HTML is not that hard to deal with. PS and info are. I *want* to
change them to reflect Debian setup, but the author refuses to
release "source code"

I think Christian is right, and documentation *is* software.

			Marcelo