Re: Documentation as Software (was Re: PerlDL license)

In article <[🔎] oapvieq4oh.fsf@burrito.fake>,
Adam P. Harris <apharris@burrito.onshore.com> wrote:

>Let's mix is up a little more.  What about the TEIlite DTDs?
[...]
>Personally, I think their restrictions are extremely reasonable; while
>they have also provided the ability to extend and modify their DTDs
>without actually touching the source files.  Which is to say that I
>would like to see Debian able to put, for instance the TEIlite DTDs,
>under 'main'.

Since these DTDs are, effectively, source code, doesn't this fall under
the exception in section 4 of the DFSG?  In the same way, incidentally,
as TeX does: the TeX source code is written in WEB, and you're not
allowed to change it, but you can compile it along with a 'changes'
file to generate a patched TeX executable.

When you use a DTD, you don't compile it into an executable, but if you
can still `patch' it easily, it's okay, right?

--
Charles Briscoe-Smith
White pages entry, with PGP key: <URL:http://alethea.ukc.ac.uk/wp?95cpb4>