Re: Locales and Programs parsing other's output

On Wed, Apr 15, 1998 at 02:52:59PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
> >>"Ian" == Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>
> Ian> Does anyone want to maintain this manual ?  I take it from
> Ian> Christian's posting that he doesn't.
>
> 	I would be interested in (co-?) maintaining this manual, with
>  help from the list in determining what should or should not go in
>  there.
>
> 	manoj

Wow, I feel a document of high value and quality coming up. This is my
personal wishlist, as I'm truely an unexperienced programmer:

* Secure programming (temp files in several languages, uid/suid etc, file
  locking),... with explanation why certain approaches are insufficient and
  bad (and how they can be exploited ;)

* Architecture independent programming (endian, built-in types,
  location of include files, building of shared libraries...)

* Probably a short introduction in build tools as make, xmkmf, autoconf,
  automake, libtools (as why to use them and when to use which etc...)

* there should probably be two sections: application programming and library
  programming, at least for some specific section (security!, version
  numbering schemes [for libraries completely non-intuitive])

* "Historic Features" section with information about traditional "broken" programs
  as ldd, etc. (for example, ldd looking in library path first, or the linker
  linking with every -l'ed library...)

* I/O programming ?

* resource management ?

Well, the list could be easily extended, please don't take it too seriously,
it's just brain storming (although I'm quite serious about the first three
topics).

Thank you,
Marcus