Re: Documentation as Software (was Re: PerlDL license)

To recap for those just seeing this.  I was catching up on old threads
in debian-private, one of which had to do with the PerlDL licence.  As
a result I asked Christian privately if debian policy was still that
documentation is software & therefore must comply rigidly with the
DFSG.  His response:

    Christian> Yes. Note, that this is just my interpretation of
    Christian> current policy, and I'm no lawyer. However, no lawyer
    Christian> has shown up yet to prove I'm wrong... :-)

I'm not sure that interpretation is valid.  Documenation is written
text, not software, and the copyright requirements & protections are
much clearer under both common law & statutes. IANAL though.

More importantly, key items of the debian distribution fail this
requirement, eg Tom Christiansen's documentation that comes with
perl.  While any such packages may have bugs filled against them
because of this, I'm not sure that's a reasonable response given
that the author may simply be trying to prevent the all-out
plagerism of their effort.

Anyway, this is really a matter for debian-policy so I'll move the
discussion there.

Please leave me in the CC list as I'm not subscribed to debian-policy.

--
Stephen
---