Extending version numbering (Was: glibc_2.0.7pre1-3)

Santiago Vila writes:
 >    If an upstream package has problematic version numbers they should be
 >    converted to a sane form for use in the Version field.
 >
 > ...which is what has not been done in this case.

The problem I have with epochs is that it will have to bump each time
a packages enters a "pre" period.  I fell that's not very nice.

A solution would be to convert 2.0.7pre1 to 2.0.6.99.1.  I think that
was done to keep 2.0.0pre* kernels in v1.3 dir.

But I do agree it would be nice to have a special syntax for version
numbers allowing to cope with {pre,alpha,beta}-like numbering.  It is
perfectly sane to distinguish between "it's in testing stage" and
"it's released software", and we should IMHO support such a thing.

Anyone against that ?

--
Yann Dirson  <ydirson@a2points.com>      | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
alt-email:     <dirson@univ-mlv.fr>      |     support Debian GNU/Linux: