Re: Extending version numbering (Was: glibc_2.0.7pre1-3)

Yann Dirson <ydirson@a2points.com> writes:

> The problem I have with epochs is that it will have to bump each time
> a packages enters a "pre" period.  I fell that's not very nice.

What difference does it make?

> But I do agree it would be nice to have a special syntax for version
> numbers allowing to cope with {pre,alpha,beta}-like numbering.  It is
> perfectly sane to distinguish between "it's in testing stage" and
> "it's released software", and we should IMHO support such a thing.

It might be nice, but it's not clear to me that it can be done without
creating problems with other cases, and epochs seem to solve the
problem with no hassle.  I don't really care either way, but my rule
of thumb is "If dpkg --compare-versions gives the wrong answer, change
the version string.  If there's no good way to change the string that
makes dpkg happy, use epochs."

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>