Re: policy violation and bug reports.

joey@kitenet.net (Joey Hess)  wrote on 22.02.98 in <[🔎] 19980222203425.41524@kite>:

> Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> > 	As to the conffile not being a configuration file, I think you
> >  are wrong on that issue (you doubtless feel I am wrong). I think this
> >  is a time for some deadlock breakage to occur.
>
> Yes, at least it's time to get some one else's input. If anyone else cares
> and if we haven't scared them off.
>
> > 	I think we have reached a point where neither one of us is
> >  saying anything new.
>
> Yes.
>
> > 	If you think policy is restrictive, get it changed.
>
> That's why I cc'd this to debian-policy and asked for an explination of what
> people thought that paragraph meant and why it was originally put in the
> policy manual. Were you there? Do you remember? It was well before my time..

Well, here's _some_ input. And just as a reference point, my /etc is
currently around 3.5 MB, including these files:
  6579  536 -rw-r--r--   1 root     root       548292 Feb 16 02:58 /etc/termcap
  7102  119 -rw-r--r--   1 root     root       120882 Oct 11 00:57 /etc/magic
  7213  183 -rw-r--r--   1 root     root       186499 Oct 16  1995 /etc/termcap.old

--- snip ---

Gary Barnes (gkb@aber.ac.uk) wrote:
> In article <6bg5nf$hou$3@news.huji.ac.il>,
> Vadim Vygonets <vadik@trilok.cs.huji.ac.il> wrote:
> :
> :ObLinux: when I was in Debian, on their development mailing list
> :I started something close to a flame war trying to convince them
> :not to put _all_ of the config files (including (yeah, but not
> :limited to) fstab, lynx.cfg, several emacs conffiles) in /etc.
>              ^^^^^
> :They told me, "use <insert your favorite remote files distribution
> :proggie>" and "1M more on a root partition won't kill you".
>                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Dunno about you, but I think having fstab on the root partition is a
> probably not that bad an idea.

Umm, maybe I'm dumb, but not _that_ dumb.  I intentionally included
fstab in the list as one thing that _must_ be on root partition.
To show the difference.  Maybe I just had to make it clear.

Vadik.

--
I tried cp /proc/kcore /dev/audio on my home Linux system and distinctly
heard John Lennon saying "I buried Paul".  -- Jonathan Guthrie at asr

--- snip ---

MfG Kai