Re: manpage for GNU utilities?

srivasta@datasync.com (Manoj Srivastava)  wrote on 22.02.98 in <[🔎] 87hg5symwg.fsf@tiamat.datasync.com>:

> 	I personally do not find the info keys incomprehensible, but I
>  spent some time learning how to use info, and in a number of cases
>  info is my preferred documentation format.

There's no logic behind those key bindings. Of course you can learn them
by heart, but I must say emacs key bindings are the most illogical ones
I've ever come across - they are why I refuse to use emacs. *Nobody*
should need to put up with stuff like that.

I can, and do, use info. And I hate it.

Oh, and the search system - well, all I can say is that it seems *far*
easier to find things in man pages. Maybe there are some obscure options
in there to do all the stuff I routinely do in man.

Don't you think it's a contradiction for help systems needing obscure key
bindings?

> 	Take perl for example. Comes as a bunch of man pages. How I
>  wish they has chosen info instead -- It takes several frustating
>  efforts to get information about anything at all. Perldoc is of
>  little help, and we do not have perlindex available for Debian.

Well, if something is in there, I can always find it. OTOH, there have
been times when I _knew_ I had seen something before in info, but was
unable to locate it again.

True, man is far from perfect. But IMO, info is far worse.

MfG Kai