Re: policy violation and bug reports.

[You (Joey Hess)]
>Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> 	So what? what are postinst files for? Which games need a
>>  binary high scores file?
>
>Oh, for example, xboing, nighthawk, thrust, xgalaga, xhextris, xtrojka,
>abuse, canfield, robots, sail, snake, tetris-bsd, phantasia, rogue,
>maelstrom, xkobo, and xsok. (Plus dosemu hdimages, which belong in /etc by
>the same reasoning you're using.)

No, I think Manoj's original suggestion was better.  Handle high score
files from {post,pre}{inst,rm}.  Do not tag as a conf file.  Leave in /
var/games.

The dosemu hdimage is a really good case for testing policy.  I think
it's a fringe case.  Personally what I would do is leave
/var/lib/dosemu/hdimage.first, and instruct users to not modify that, and
instead make something under, say, /usr/local/lib/dosemu.
/etc/dosemu.conf could point at that.

Joey, I sympathize with your position, but Manoj is just right here.
BTW, both of the packages I've recently taken over put conf files under
/usr/lib (!!! ack!).  Of course one of the first things I did was move
this to /etc/$(package).

>Yes. It would increase /etc by about 3 or 4 mb on my system. /etc is
>currently 2.7 mb on my system.

I don't think we should worry *too* much about increasing /etc, so long
as we don't do anything too nutty.  And putting big hdimage files under
/etc qualifies as "nutty" in my book, though I doubt the Policy can
define "nutty" with any high degree of accuracy ;)