Re: policy violation and bug reports.

Hi,

Joey> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> So what? what are postinst files for? Which games need a binary
>> high scores file?

Joey> Oh, for example, xboing, nighthawk, thrust, xgalaga, xhextris,
Joey> xtrojka, abuse, canfield, robots, sail, snake, tetris-bsd,
Joey> phantasia, rogue, maelstrom, xkobo, and xsok. (Plus dosemu
Joey> hdimages, which belong in /etc by the same reasoning you're
Joey> using.)

	And you are sure these games can't deal with no file being
 present.  Lemme see: can't test xboing anway,  Xlib Error: BadMatch
 (invalid parameter attributes)/. nighthawk works. xhextris
 works. xgalaga works. sail works. tetris works. rpgue
 works. maelstrom works.  getting bored trying to find a game that
 fails if the score file don't exist.

	Do you actually try anything before complaining?

>> why can't they put the scores file in /etc and make a pointer to
>> it?

Joey> Because, this contravenes the FSSTND! /etc is for configuration
Joey> files. These are not configuration files.

	So you decide that these are not config files. If the game
 can't work without them, it is a configuration file. If the score
 file is not required, don't create a conffile, for gods
 sake. conffile == configfile == configuration file.

>> Maintainer laziness is no excuse to not enforce policy.

Joey> Cutting on the debian maintainers again. My, you have a high
Joey> opinion of us. Let's clarify the policy first, shall we? I've
Joey> seen no evidence that the debian maintainers are lazy.

	Actually, past experience has lead me to lower my opinion of
 some people considerably. And I am not alone vis a vis riff raff in
 the ranks.

>> Oh, I do not think so. just moving user modifiable configuration
>> files shall not significantly increase the size of /etc. Just look
>> at the sizes of the violators; and compare them to the size of
>> /etc. I have looked at the numbvers. have you?

Joey> Yes. It would increase /etc by about 3 or 4 mb on my
Joey> system. /etc is currently 2.7 mb on my system.

	All score files were under 1 block on my machine.
 /use/src/debian-cd.vars was 17 blocks. /root/.bash* = 2 blocks.
 The rest of the /var/lib/games stuff: 33 blocks.

 (I took all the violators I had posted about, put the file names in a
 file, and ran this:

for i in `cat junk `; do ls -s $i; done | \
perl -e '$s=0; while (<>) { chomp; $s += $1 if m/^\s*(\d+)\s+/; }; print "$s\n";'

	Inclusding the dos hdimage, the total came to 514K. The dosemu
 was 458 k.

	3 or 4 mega bytes? where do get that? Apart from dosemu, I get
 less than 75K. And if you have not checked, why do you think I should
 treat your arguments with the respect you think you deserve?

Joey> I have only one simple question - if this can be answered to my
Joey> satisfaction, I would have no qualms about moving all conffiles
Joey> into /etc. That question is: what does this gain us? I don't see
Joey> an appreciable gain. I see a lot of stuff moved around in a
Joey> fashion that makes debian even more unlike a standard linux
Joey> system. I see the developers hobbled by a useless piece of
Joey> policy. So where's the gain?

	Change the policy if you believe it hobbles us. I shall not
 (again) go into why I think all user modifiable config files should
 be in /etc. I beleive the benefits are huge, and if we are different
 from other unices, it is because we offer significant bvenefits.

	Hobbled by policy, forsooth!

	manoj

	By the way, thse are the files I think are in violation of
 policy. And these constitute 514K (remove dosemu, you get under 75K)

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/mwm/system.mwmrc
/var/lib/dosemu/hdimage.first
/var/lib/mime/mime-db
/var/spool/slrnpull/slrnpull.conf
/var/news/WELCOME
/usr/lib/snns/default.cfg
/usr/lib/spamdb/constants
/usr/lib/spamdb/procmail.recipe
/var/named/named.local
/var/named/named.rev-local
/var/lib/games/bsdgames-nonfree/rogue.scores
/var/lib/games/bsdgames/atc_score
/var/lib/games/bsdgames/battlestar.log
/var/lib/games/bsdgames/cfscores
/var/lib/games/bsdgames/criblog
/var/lib/games/bsdgames/robots_roll
/var/lib/games/bsdgames/saillog
/var/lib/games/bsdgames/snake.log
/var/lib/games/bsdgames/snakerawscores
/var/lib/games/bsdgames/tetris-bsd.scores
/var/lib/games/bsdgames/phantasia/characs
/var/lib/games/bsdgames/phantasia/gold
/var/lib/games/bsdgames/phantasia/lastdead
/var/lib/games/bsdgames/phantasia/mess
/var/lib/games/bsdgames/phantasia/motd
/var/lib/games/bsdgames/phantasia/scoreboard
/var/lib/games/bsdgames/phantasia/void
/var/lib/games/xhextris-scores
/var/lib/games/gravitywars/hscore.gw
/var/lib/games/maelstrom/Maelstrom-Scores
/var/lib/games/mirrormagic/RAY.level
/var/lib/games/nethack/logfile
/var/lib/games/nethack/record
/var/lib/games/nighthawk.scores
/var/lib/games/rocksndiamonds/ROCKS.levelinfo
/var/lib/games/thrust.highscore
/var/lib/games/xbill/scores
/var/lib/games/xboing.score
/var/lib/games/xbomb/xbomb3.hi
/var/lib/games/xbomb/xbomb4.hi
/var/lib/games/xbomb/xbomb6.hi
/var/lib/games/xemeraldia.scores
/var/lib/games/xjewel.scores
/var/lib/games/xonix.scores
/var/lib/games/xsoldier.scores
/var/lib/games/xtet42/.xtet42.hiscore
/var/lib/games/xtet42/.xtet42.hiscore.single
/var/lib/games/xtrojka.scores

--
 When you stay on the tracks, ignoring the facts, you can't blame the
 wreck on the train.  from the song, "You Can't Blame . . "