Re: policy violation and bug reports.

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	So what? what are postinst files for? Which games need a
>  binary high scores file?

Oh, for example, xboing, nighthawk, thrust, xgalaga, xhextris, xtrojka,
abuse, canfield, robots, sail, snake, tetris-bsd, phantasia, rogue,
maelstrom, xkobo, and xsok. (Plus dosemu hdimages, which belong in /etc by
the same reasoning you're using.)

> why can't they put the scores file in /etc and make a pointer to it?

Because, this contravenes the FSSTND! /etc is for configuration files. These
are not configuration files.

> Maintainer laziness is no excuse to not enforce policy.

Cutting on the debian maintainers again. My, you have a high opinion of us.
Let's clarify the policy first, shall we? I've seen no evidence that the
debian maintainers are lazy.

> 	Oh, I do not think so. just moving user modifiable
>  configuration files shall not significantly increase the size of
>  /etc. Just look at the sizes of the violators; and compare them to
>  the size of /etc. I have looked at the numbvers. have you?

Yes. It would increase /etc by about 3 or 4 mb on my system. /etc is
currently 2.7 mb on my system.

I have only one simple question - if this can be answered to my
satisfaction, I would have no qualms about moving all conffiles into /etc.
That question is: what does this gain us? I don't see an appreciable gain. I
see a lot of stuff moved around in a fashion that makes debian even more
unlike a standard linux system. I see the developers hobbled by a useless
piece of policy. So where's the gain?

--
see shy jo