Re: [lintian] app-defaults mode 444

On Sun, Feb 15, 1998 at 11:42:45PM +0100, Christian Schwarz wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Feb 1998 fpolacco@icenet.fi wrote:
>
> > Therefore I think that it is better to leave them mode 444 so a user
> > (educated by Slackware) will find little more difficult to modify them
> > (mode 444 should make him think that that file shouldn't be modifyed)
>
> I don't think that this is a good solution. (The user would have to be
> root anyways, to edit these files, but root can also edit 444 files very
> easily.)

I don't know of emacs, but in vi you have to _force_ it to overwrite the
file (being root), so I was suggesting to put in policy what we are
already using (the large part of that dir has mode 444) because is a nice
obstacle to people wanting to do things in the wrong way.
When they have to _force_ writing they cannot say "I didn't noticed that
is wasn't writable".

Our policy already say "don't edit that file"; leaving it mode 444 is a
way to assert the current policy.

fab