Re: manpages for X11 games?

On Sun, Feb 15, 1998 at 11:26:05PM +0100, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> 2. AFAIK all the extensions have to be _hardcoded_ into the man-db source
> code. Thus, it's evil if maintainers `invent' new extensions.

It's not *evil*, but simply your new extension will not be recognized as
a section if used in the man command:

$ man 1x pippo
No manual entry for pippo in section 1x

$ man 1y pippo
No manual entry for 1y
No manual entry for pippo

So it's only _interest_ of "inventors" of new sections to communicate
them to me.

About the policy of extension "x" ... at a first thought I say that the
extension "x" should be used only by the manpages belonging to X and not
by an optional program that is installed in /usr/X11R6/bin ...
... but thinking more deeply make me think that "x11" would be a better
name for that case, while "x" could be a good solution to group
toghether programs running under X11 ...

So I leave to you the decision.
For me, it is quite the same :-)

fab, as man-db maintainer.