Re: md5sums files (was Re: over 30000 bugs in our archive (!))

On Tue, Feb 10, 1998 at 12:40:17AM -0600, Rob Browning wrote:
> > 	Of course, a better solution would be something akin to
> > 	suidmanager -- those packages that need it would use it,
> > 	less important, non-critical, wouldn't.
> Actually, thinking about it, since we have strict rules about default
> permissions and ownership, packages could just contain a list of all
> the files with non-standard permissions/ownership.  This would be
> quite efficient and would make it easy to write tools that check your
> system to see if you've accidentally clobbered something.

	I like that. That and a method to override things locally
	(I like my ssh un-suid, unlike it has been by default) and
	that would be good. In fact, if one would store the
	checksums & default modes & local overrides & checker program
	on ro media, it would be quite close to tripwire. Debian CD
	would be a good ro media, just put local overrides on a
	write-protected floppy..

	BTW, I hope lintian will check that all the suid files are
	     registered with suidmanager..
--
tv-nospam-sig-1@hq.yok.utu.fi - it's a valid address w/o spam | +358-50-5124907
f u cn rd ths, thn u cn rd perl 2 | rm -rf / && echo bye-bye. |           --tv