Re: md5sums files (was Re: over 30000 bugs in our archive (!))

Tommi Virtanen <tv-nospam-this-address-is-ok-just-reply@hq.yok.utu.fi> writes:

> 	Of course, a better solution would be something akin to
> 	suidmanager -- those packages that need it would use it,
> 	less important, non-critical, wouldn't.

Actually, thinking about it, since we have strict rules about default
permissions and ownership, packages could just contain a list of all
the files with non-standard permissions/ownership.  This would be
quite efficient and would make it easy to write tools that check your
system to see if you've accidentally clobbered something.

Note that I'm not necessarily claiming that this is a great idea, and
it's certainly not anything that would work for security purposes, but
it might be useful for other things.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>