Re: multi-platform, FSSTND compliance, and /usr/share/

Will Lowe writes:
 > On Fri, 30 Jan 1998, Yann Dirson wrote:
 >
 > > [6.3] "The directory /usr/share typically contains
 > > architecture-independent files such as man-pages, timezone, terminfo
 > > information, etc."
 > [...]
 > > As of this time, with Debian going multiplatform, it seems we should
 > > push towards using /usr/share where this makes sense, as soon as
 > > possible (maybe for 2.0).  This will make integrating "heterogeneous"
 > The move to the new FSSTND (I don't remember the new acronym) was put off
 > until Debian 2.1 because it requires us to move /var/lib/dpkg/* and make a
 > few other corrections that are going to be absolutely a wreck.  The move
 > to glibc is screwy enough on its own that we need to get it finished 'fore
 > we play with too many other things ... :)

I don't think it would be so much work.  A new paragraph in the policy
could be written, recommending the use of /usr/share/, while still
using symlinks to not break everything, for now.  Then, full FHS
implementation will be left for 2.1, I didn't suggest to start out the
whole mess at once.

But if, say, FHS prohibits /usr/share/, then I'll shut up at once, as
it won't lead us anywhere to push towards an already obsolete (part
of) file hierarchy.

 > > [6.3] "no program should ever reference anything in /usr/share."
 > No clue.  Might be becase /usr/share could be shared across different
 > architectures (hence the name) and therefore isn't likely to reside on a
 > local disk in an NFS environment,  so references to a filesystem that
 > might not be around could be bad.

Hmmm... what good will it bring to refer to, say, /usr/man/ if the
latter is a link to /usr/share/man/, with /usr/share/ being
NFS-mounted ?

--
Yann Dirson  <ydirson@a2points.com>      | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
alt-email:     <dirson@univ-mlv.fr>      |     support Debian GNU/Linux: