Re: multi-platform, FSSTND compliance, and /usr/share/

On Fri, 30 Jan 1998, Will Lowe wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jan 1998, Yann Dirson wrote:
>
> > [6.3] "The directory /usr/share typically contains
> > architecture-independent files such as man-pages, timezone, terminfo
> > information, etc."
> [...]
> > As of this time, with Debian going multiplatform, it seems we should
> > push towards using /usr/share where this makes sense, as soon as
> > possible (maybe for 2.0).  This will make integrating "heterogeneous"

The FHS fully supports /usr/share and we already have decided to implement
the FHS in Debian 2.1 (at least partially--see below) but stay with FSSTND
for Debian 2.0. (The changes would be too much to get hamm out in time.)

However, I don't have any problems (and I think this is FSSTND compliant
also) with packages using /usr/share instead of /usr/lib if this doesn't
break other packages.

E.g., I just released the doc-base package which wants to have all `doc
control files' to be in /usr/share/doc-base. Using /usr/share from the
first second will make the move to FHS trivial.

> The move to the new FSSTND (I don't remember the new acronym) was put off
> until Debian 2.1 because it requires us to move /var/lib/dpkg/* and make a
> few other corrections that are going to be absolutely a wreck.  The move
> to glibc is screwy enough on its own that we need to get it finished 'fore
> we play with too many other things ... :)

You are right that FHS _would_ require us to move /var/lib/dpkg, but we
already decided not to do this. (The risk is simply to high.)

Perhaps we'll make more exceptions to the FHS--we haven't decided on this
yet.

Thanks,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz