multi-platform, FSSTND compliance, and /usr/share/

I just had a look at what FSSTND says about /usr/share:

[6.3] "The directory /usr/share typically contains
architecture-independent files such as man-pages, timezone, terminfo
information, etc."

[4.11] "Note that it is the consensus opinion of FSSTND that
/usr/share is not needed on the majority of Linux systems."

But:

[6.3] "As of this time, there are no different architectures for
Linux" [that time was March 1995]

As of this time, with Debian going multiplatform, it seems we should
push towards using /usr/share where this makes sense, as soon as
possible (maybe for 2.0).  This will make integrating "heterogeneous"
Debian NFS networks easier.

They also say :

[6.3] "no program should ever reference anything in /usr/share."
[...]
"Anything in /usr/share will be "pointed to" by the use of symlinks
from other areas in the filesystem, such as /usr/man,
/usr/lib/<something>, etc."

Has anyone an idea why they say so ?
What does the FHS say [just in case] ?

I had removed the /usr/lib/kbd/* links to /usr/share, from the kbd
package, as obsolete compat links, but I seem to be against FSSTND in
this case...

I personnally don't see any good in those links, except for
compatibility purposes.  But I may well be missing some important
point.

--
Yann Dirson  <ydirson@a2points.com>      | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
alt-email:     <dirson@univ-mlv.fr>      |     support Debian GNU/Linux: