Re: lintian and e2fsprogs: doc-directory policy

Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:

> As long as the binary packages `Depend:' (or `Recommend:') the
> package containing /usr/doc/source-package and they install a
> symlink /usr/doc/binary-package this solution is fine with me.

IMHO this will lead to spurious Depends: being added to packages
simply to satisfy 5.6.

> (All this is necessery to make sure /usr/doc/<bin-pkg>/copyright
> always exists.)

IMHO, if we are going to try and enforce this policy, we should
enforce it so /usr/doc/<bin-pkg>/copyright exists _in the deb_.  This
not only avoids spurious Depends: but also makes mechanical copyright
checking much easier (saying mechanical checking has to deal with
dpkg's dependency handling is somewhat harsh).

--
James