Versionning of non-standalone library packages

Hi there,

Some upstream packages (eg. e2fsprogs) contain shared libraries which
can be debian-packaged in their own package (eg. libcom_err, now in
packages comerr{2g,g-dev}).

Until now, I let the versions of library packages be the same as the
e2fsprogs deb-package's version.  However, this means that the
package-version for a shared library does not match the library
version.

Though it is not critical, it may be good IMHO to provide both version
numbers (the one of the lib itself, and the one of the source-package
providing it) to be the upstream-version-number of the package.
The library version will show the library's minor version-number,
which does not appear anywhere else in control info, while the
source-package's version will ensure the upstream version will bounce
in the case where the library code changes and the upstream maintainer
forgets to increment the lib's version.

Eg. e2fsprogs-1.10 provides libcom_err-2.0. This would make the
version-number of the comerr* packages be 2.0-1.10-<deb-release>.

Comments are wellcomed. Maybe this can be discussed, and some policy
chosen about this, if it is necessary at all ?

If I get no objections, e2fsprogs_1.10-11 will be shipped with
comerr{2g,g-dev}_2.0-1.10-11.

--
Yann Dirson  <ydirson@a2points.com>      | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
alt-email:     <dirson@univ-mlv.fr>      |     support Debian GNU/Linux: