Re: Versionning of non-standalone library packages

On Fri, Jan 16, 1998 at 08:36:39PM +0100, Yann Dirson wrote:

> If I get no objections, e2fsprogs_1.10-11 will be shipped with
> comerr{2g,g-dev}_2.0-1.10-11.

It was my convincement that policy said that library's binary packages
should have the soname version _in_ the name (at the end of the name)
and source version as version number.
I looked for this in the actual manuals  (just to point you to them),
but I wasn't able to find that part.
Did this disappear, or I was mistakenly taking for policy some
reccomendation, maybe read in some message on the list?

My convincement was that the binary packages for libraries must be
named:
<"lib"><libname><soname><"g"(if also libc5)>{,-dev,-dbg}_<source-version>

I think we should collect all library's issues in a section on the
policy: there are several issues in discussion, as well as praticies for
libc6 libs, perl libs, etc.

Fabrizio