Re: splitting debian-devel-changes

---Martin Schulze <joey@kuolema.Infodrom.North.DE> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 16, 1998 at 05:01:57PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
>
> > >     > Well, now that the Debian ports generate a lot of postings
in
> > >     > debian-devel-changes, I think it is time to split that
list by
> > >     > architecture.
> > >
> > >  Why not just use scoring in Gnus?
> >
> > We not just create different lists for different architectures?
> >
> > [ I'm an i386 user. Do you really think I should *receive* all
> > those alpha, m68k, sparc, etc. announcements? ]
>
> Are you completely uninterested how the ports are going on?

Maybe an acceptable compromise would be to have debian-devel-changes
and debian-changes receive all announcements of source uploads, and a
debian-<arch>-changes (where <arch> is
(i386|m68k|powerpc|merced|6502|whatever)) for binary uploads.  So a
"i386 m68k source" package would generate mails to
debian-devel-changes, debian-i386-changes and debian-m68k-changes (or
68k changes if you want to be consistent with the mailing list name).

"all" packages would go to all <arch>-changes lists (since they affect
all architectures).

That would allow separate channels to be monitored for users (who will
mainly be interested in <arch> mails) and for porters (who, I'm
assuming, will be interested in devel-changes [maybe source-changes
would be a better name?] mails).

Chris, who's spammed people with m68k uploads and is currently being
spammed by sparc and alpha uploads.
==
Chris Lawrence                  Email: quango@ix.netcom.com
Senior Political Science Major
University of Memphis           Contract Programmer
Memphis, Tennessee, USA         FedEx - Operations Research