Re: Policy Weekly Issue #4/4: Announcing new packages before uploading them

Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>         In balance, I think I prefer changing the changelog syntax to
>  include closed=, though it raises the spectre of modifying
>  changelog.el and dpkg-parsechangelog.

Why? That syntax should be interpreted by the installer's scripts on
master, not on the maintainer's side.
If we want to have dpkg-parsechangelog output an advice so the
maintainer could find errors before the upload, then it is ok, it could
help, but is the installation message sent back to the maintainer that
should advice of the bugs automagically closed. (My suggestion on this
could be that Guy adds the changelog files to that message and CCs it to
each XXXX-done so the apropriate mailing list and the original submitter
receive it too, including the explanation that should be in the changes
entry.

About changelog.el, I can understand how much helpfull it can be to
those that use emacs, but I would like not to see syntax requirements
enforced "because of the .el". I really don't understand why
dpkg-parsechangelog rejects changelog files that have 3 instead of 2
spaces at the beginning of one row.
[no flame about the best editor, please. Everybody is free to use the
editor he likes; in Naples they say: Ogni scarrafone è bell'a mamma soja
= each beetle is handsome for his mother)

Be conservator in your output, and liberal in what you accept as input
(sorry to everybody, this is my free re-translation into english:
corrections are welcome, I simply don't remember the original sentence
in english)
See the other message I posted today to this thread for a very liberal
parsing of "close[s]=[bug]#1234"; please remember that some editor can
split such a line on the "=" sign, and it's easy for us to accept those
lines too.

Fabrizio