Re: Policy Weekly Issue #4/4: Announcing new packages before uploading them

Hi,
>>"Rob" == Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> writes:

Rob> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:

>> I do not quite understand the X-debian-Closes proposal. When do I
>> insert this header? into what?

Rob> This was put forward as one option.  What they were talking about
Rob> was an optional mail header that would be in the message making
Rob> the announcement, and would be picked up and processed by a smart
Rob> list handler.  See my header above for a silly example.  (You'll
Rob> probably have to hit 't' in GNUS to see it.  Don't know about
Rob> other MUAs).

Rob> As I recall, any header that starts with X- is reserved by some
Rob> RFC for private use.

	Right. In that case, I can't use dupload; or any other
 automated release tool that produces the announce message
 automatically. Also, there is no record of the bugs closed, and if
 the upload fails (I have now a very noisy phone line), I have to
 remember to do whatever I needed to inject the header again.

	In balance, I think I prefer changing the changelog syntax to
 include closed=, though it raises the spectre of modifying
 changelog.el and dpkg-parsechangelog.

	manoj

--
 A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from
 you. Ramsey Clark