Re: abandoning the rules of discourse

Hi,

	I think that this topic has reached the end of it's utility
 (much as I like the discourse). I think we are beginning to repeat
 ourselves. In concluding my participation on this thread, I have this
 to add:
 a) The list is not a place where the first amendment to the US
    constitution holds sway; as there are other means of offering one
    opinion (the dissent list?). You do not, for example, have a right
    to be rointed on the front page of the New York times (or of any
    other newspaper), this is not seen as violating your first
    amendment rights.

 b) This is a group of people who have gotten together to put up the
    best free Linux distribution. This is a co-operative
    effort. Disruptive behavior prevents (or at least militates
    against) the primary purpose of this activity. The group has a
    right to insist on a modicum of civility.

 c) I refuse to admit that intelligent discourse is impossible without
    resorting to ad hominem attacks or crude language. The ill will it
    causes is also (in my opinion) detrimental to the espirit de corps
    of the project in general.

 d) I also think that people *are* hurt by rudeness, and worse, the
    whle project suffers even more from the resultant ill will. We are
    heer not because this is our job, we are here because we like
    doing so. Abuse generally is not considered to be fun. There is a
    threshold, and abuse me more than that, and participation shall no
    longer be fun. Some one remarked that Debian lost when Lars left,
    and yet are unwilling to do anything to prevent others from
    leaving because they have been insulted in this forum. How many
    have we lost, turned off by all the rottenness that seems to
    permeate the lists of late?

 d) If the rules of discourse mean that some freedom is lost, then
    chalk that up to requisite discipline. No work of any worth can be
    accomplished without discipline, *any* discipline is a loss of
    freedom; albeit 'tis often voluntary.

	Such limitations on the debian are not likely to destroy the
 freedom of speech of the free world. I would accept any loss of
 freedom I felt to be amply rewarded by the resulting peace and
 amicability ;-). If people want to practice free speech, they can
 write to the washington post ;-).

	manoj
--
 Wild swans take the path of the sun. Men with powers travel through
 space, but the wise step right out of the world, by conquering Mara