Re: abandoning the rules of discourse

Hi,
>>"Kai" == Kai Henningsen <kaih@khms.westfalen.de> writes:

Kai> So then here's a proposal for a policy:

Kai> If a list participant (who is otherwise eligible for the list,
Kai> like being a project member if the list is debian-private)
Kai> undertakes an action that seriously endangers the existence or
Kai> use of the list, then as an emergency measure, that individual
Kai> can be blocked from the list until the matter is resolved.

	With you so far.

Kai> Such an action might be posting X11 to the list, but not being
Kai> rude.

	You lost me on the last clause.

Kai> Yet we still want freedom of the press, don't we?

	Even the freedom of press has limitations put on it. One
 specific limitation is libel (or slander -- I can't keep them
 apart).

Kai> I think I accidentally stumbled upon the right word here. You
Kai> can't have freedom without the freedom to insult.

Kai> There's always a price you pay for freedom. This is part of the
Kai> price for free speech.

	Sorry, no. I do not have the freedom to kill. I do not have
 the freedom to punch people on the nose. I do not have freedom for
 assault and battery. I merely wish to extend this to verbal assault
 and battery on the Debian list.

	By your argument freedom is defined as freedom frm all
 laws. Thus spake Nietze.

	In everything, price moderation, my friend. Even for
 freedom. Your rights ends where my nose starts.

	manoj
--
 Remember: Silly is a state of Mind, Stupid is a way of Life. Dave
 Butler