Re: font policy

>>>>> "ME" == Mark Eichin <eichin@cygnus.com> writes:

    ME: In that case, do exactly what xfnt100 and the like do, as far as
    ME: rerunning mkfontdir.  If you want to avoid dealing with getting the X
    ME: server to find the fonts (as for a game with only a few of them) I'd
    ME: recommend "cheating" and just installing them in
    ME: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc and running mkfontdir like xfnt*.postinst
    ME: and postrm do.  Then you don't have to worry about whether or not the
    ME: user is running a font server, for example...

Maybe, but it fails when I need to add font aliases.  This is the problem I've
found: how to modify `fonts.alias' cleanly.  I think this is impossible and the
best is to install such fonts into their own directory.

    ME: Otherwise we should probably come up with a font list config file (or
    ME: just use the one in XF86Config, but only if I write a tool to edit the
    ME: lines, don't try to edit them directly...)

Yes, I prefer something like `xfonts-path { --add | --remove }' tool, which
would edit appropriate config files and restart appropriate daemons.

Milan Zamazal