font policy

Ok, re the posts on debian-devel list, what IS the current policy on
fonts?

How many different font servers do we have to contend with that would make
it so we "need" a menu like scheme? (good work Joey Hess).

Also, even if it isnt made policy to automate it, how DO I make it so the
standard font server that comes with debian will recognize my fonts that
are installed with xfnt100 package?  Not only doesnt netscape see them,
but neither does xfontsel.

Cheers, and eagerly awaiting your thoughts,

Jonathan Walther