Re: Can pstotext go into main?

On Sep 19, Christian Schwarz wrote
> > 	Depends: gs
> > 	Recommends: gs-aladdin (>= 3.51) | gs (>= 3.51)
> > (note: there is no gs >= 3.51 yet, but since gs-aladdin 5 is available
> > upstream, I expect some non-free gs version will be available under the
> > GPL soon).
>
> Sorry, but if neither gs-aladdin (>= 3.51) nor gs (>= 3.51) is in main
> currently, the package can't go into main itself. (Recommends are treated
> as Depends as of the new policy, since dselect seems to make not much
> difference between these two relations.)

Hmm.. I could make it Suggests. The point is that "pstotext" performs it's
main functionality (extracting text from PostScript) fine with the gs-3.33
in main; its additional feature (extracting text from PDF) requires a
version of gs that is not yet free.

So IMHO if I make it
 	Depends: gs
 	Suggests: gs-aladdin (>= 3.51)
it could go into main.

> The license seems ok to me (i.e. DFSG compliant) but I wondering why it's
> called "END USER LICENSE". We are definitely not end users, but since the
> license mentiones "distributions" explicitely, I think this is not a
> problem.

Probably "END USER" means "anybody outside DEC" inside DEC :-)

Ray
--
Tevens ben ik van mening dat Nederland overdekt dient te worden.