Re: Perl files in base

[I CC this reply to the debian-policy mailing list. On that list there is
currently a discussion on this topic. Please send any replies to
debian-policy.]

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Aargh, I'd kind of hoped that the idea of running files in
> /var/lib/dpkg/info would die by itself, but I see it's not going to so
> I'll have to kill it.

Did you check out debian-policy? I looks like you are replying to an old
email here and the discussion did continue on debian-policy.

Note, that you are not "killing" an idea--it's quite the opposite: my
latest proposol was much more restrictive then yours.

> Do not do that.  It will probably not work even at the moment, and is
> certainly not guaranteed to work in the future.
>
> The following text, or something like it, should be added to a
> relevant manual (the programmers' manual or whatever its successor
> is):
>
>  Software available in maintainer scripts
>  ----------------------------------------
>
>  All package maintainer scripts may use software in the base package
>  or any other package marked essential (eg, perl-base).  If they
>  require a particular version they may after consultation on
>  debian-devel use Pre-Depends to ensure that the correct version is
>  available.

AFAIK, base packages are not garantueed to be installed. Thus we should
probably not allow the use of such programs.

And didn't you say that "Pre-Depends" should not be used in connection
with a postinst script since this is too dangerous? (just wondering...)

>  The postinst and prerm scripts may use any software which is provided
>  by a package on which the package in question Depends.  Again, a
>  specific version dependency may be used.
>
>  Software provided by non-Essential packages may not be used in
>  preinst or postrm scripts.

Does this sentence conflict with the above?

>  preinst or postrm scripts should in any case be used sparingly.

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/