Re: Can pstotext go into main?

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, J.H.M. Dassen wrote:

> Having reread the policy manual, I've come to the conclusion that my
> pstotext package probably should go into main instead of non-free.
>
> pstotext requires ghostscript 3.33 or later to work for PostScript properly,
> and 3.51 or later to work for PDF properly. As 3.33 is in main, I think it
> can go into main, with
> 	Depends: gs
> 	Recommends: gs-aladdin (>= 3.51) | gs (>= 3.51)
> (note: there is no gs >= 3.51 yet, but since gs-aladdin 5 is available
> upstream, I expect some non-free gs version will be available under the GPL
> soon).

Sorry, but if neither gs-aladdin (>= 3.51) nor gs (>= 3.51) is in main
currently, the package can't go into main itself. (Recommends are treated
as Depends as of the new policy, since dselect seems to make not much
difference between these two relations.)

> As the license is not a standard one (GPL, BSD etc), I'd like to hear if
> anyone sees anything in it that makes it non-free in the DFSG sense.

The license seems ok to me (i.e. DFSG compliant) but I wondering why it's
called "END USER LICENSE". We are definitely not end users, but since the
license mentiones "distributions" explicitely, I think this is not a
problem.

I'd say the package can go into "contrib" until gs 3.51 or greater is
installed in main.

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian is looking     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de
for a logo! Have a
look at our drafts     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
at    http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/