Re: FAQ?

lee@sectionIV.com (Lee Bradshaw) writes:
> Is there a FAQ for this list?  I'd like to find some info on syncing a
> palm to my debian system.

Just to amplify the last post on this subject, there are even a couple
more options:  (As always in the Unix world, we can not only do what
we want, but do it in a whole lot of ways!  Diversity rules! :)

One of them, and a quite nice-looking one too, is KPilot.  However, it
is a KDE application, which means that you need to install a whole
bunch of contrib/non-free stuff to make it work, which you may or may
not think is worth the trouble if you aren't going to use the rest of
KDE.  KPilot is probably the closest to Palm's Pilot Desktop as we are
able to get right now, although it doesn't do everything yet.  It's
not packaged for Debian, though, and I don't know of anyone who is
working on it yet.

Another option which may be useful in the future, depending on your
tastes, is my own PDA.Pilot, a package for the Python language that
considerably expands upon the basic Python interface supplied with
pilot-link.  The currently released version only has a few
command-line utilities, but I am working on some Tk-based GUI stuff
right now.  I intend to begin supplying Debian packages of it as soon
as I complete the new maintainer application process, which hopefully
will not take too long.

Finally, there are a few other projects out there which apparently
have Pilot-isms.  For example, there is a very nice looking calendar
app being worked on as part of GNOME, which advertises that it will
have Pilot support.  [One of my goals, at some point, is to do
something like KPilot, but with GTK/GNOME instead of KDE/Qt... I
haven't started yet since I would prefer to program in Objective-C but
can't seem to get obgtk to compile.]

Options, options, options :)

--Rob

--