Re: Photo management

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> wrote:

> Working with RAW requires decent tools on fastish hardware. I'm not sure
> what you mean about zooming; digikam for example can zoom RAW without
> trouble. Many RAW formats include an embedded JPEG too for thumbnailing
> etc. I suspect digikam is using those for some operations at least.

I am very curious to DigiKam. I don't own  fast computer hardware. But
it is sure worth trying.I'll let you know.

> That's about 1000 photos over 3 weeks. About 10Mb RAW + 4Mb JPEG per
> photo. Yes it's a lot of data to deal with, but disk space is cheap. I
> have a portable photo storage unit which I upgraded to a 120Gb hard
> disk!

WOW! That are a LOT of photos. Even with USB2.0 you have to wait a
long time to copy all this data. On the other hand if placed on a hard
disk you can select and maybe even process more easy. Do you use the
ability of folders on your camera?

>> to do with the fact that I shoot JPG. Futhermore I think you
>> underestimate your camera. I think you can select the pictures you
>> really want to look at in the future on your camera just after you
>> shot them. The zooming of cameras is in my opinion fast enough.
>
> I find it too difficult to adequately review photos on the 1.8" screen
> of my EOS 350D. It might be more feasible on the new models with 2.5"
> and 3" screens.

You are right. Reviewing with such a small screen is a drag. But I
think 2.5" - 3" is also small and much more power consuming (goes
squared with size). I only use this little screen mainly to decide if
I want to keep the picture. I would like a more simple way to zoom and
get a good "feeling" of the DoF though. On my D50 (sorry Nikon ;o) the
zooming is "related" to next picture. Zooming is accomplished by
turning a wheel and pushing a button. Very annoying if the button
isn't pushed and the image isn't zoomed but the next 10 pictures are
shown...

I heard these new very expensive digital cameras have options to
"slide" the auto focus. I'd like to play with that. :-)

>> The thing is with native apps is they tend to "die" on maintenance.
>
> Not sure what you mean?

With maintenance I mean support. Native apps programmed by one or two
programmers for one or two camera vendors often start with a lot of
"nice" features but tend to live for a short period. Problem is the
hardware changes fast and there has to be a large amount of users to
maintain a certain "product" for a long time. I think digital
photography isn't mature enough to have "the killer app" available. I
hear from the Apple Zealots they are quite happy with "Lightroom" and
"PhotoShop" (hmmm did I hear some swearing here?)

>> :o) Another nice reason to select on your camera and take more time
>> per picture to shoot it.
>
> That's not always possible. My last holiday meant taking a lot of street
> scene photos often with no time to prepare and no chance to take more
> than one frame.

Maybe this is more a state of mind. I think you are always (per
definition) too late. The brain takes some time to realize what is
going on. IMHO(!:o) anticipation is the key and not a faster camera /
lens or taking more pictures.

In my experience preparation lies within the "default" settings of the
camera.I am not a fan of the automatic programs of my camera (too much
choices :) so I shoot aperture based.I always have problems with the
ISO settings so I (try) to set it and leave it default to 200 ISO and
adjust it when needed. I really dislike the fact that I can't see the
ISO in my viewfinder but well.....

If you find a work flow that fits you for RAW I would appreciate if
you share it.

Thanks
Bob