Re: Photo management

On pe, 2008-05-02 at 22:41 +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > I agree on Flickr. I am an addict of this place .../bvdkamp, but I
> > think 14GB ia a lot of data for one holiday. Or did you go for a long
> > time? I think 14 GB is far too much for one holiday. I tend to try to
>
> That's about 1000 photos over 3 weeks.

In other words, less than 50 photos per day. That's not particularly
much, for many styles of photography. My SO, for example, likes to
photograph birds. We just visited a place where migrating birds rest
during their trips across Finland. That place had over 200 different
species of birds... A 50 photos/day quota goes "boom!" pretty soon.

> I find it too difficult to adequately review photos on the 1.8" screen
> of my EOS 350D. It might be more feasible on the new models with 2.5"
> and 3" screens.

My camera has a 2.5 inch screen. It is nicer than the 1.8 inch screen of
my previous camera, but it's not nearly good enough for good review, if
you're interested in details of focus, depth of field, or small details
in the pictures. It's obviously sufficient for determining framing,
overall exposure, and such. Thus, I'm happy to delete pictures that are
obviously not going to work, but unless I'm sure a picture is bad, I
won't delete it in the camera.

I would hate to throw away most pictures of a flying bird, and then
notice, when I come home, that the one I've kept is slightly out of
focus, meaning that it can't be printed in A4 size or bigger. The ones I
deleted may have had better focus.

(All that is assuming I can even see the screen properly. In strong
sunlight that is not guaranteed.)

> That's not always possible. My last holiday meant taking a lot of street
> scene photos often with no time to prepare and no chance to take more
> than one frame.

I'd rather spend my time out and about taking pictures than selecting
which ones to keep. There's always something more interesting going on
than reviewing things on a tiny little screen.