Re: Can packaging be based on upstream git tags without CPAN tarballs?

On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 12:26:17 -0700, Sean Whitton wrote:

> > I haven't disabled it because it is skipped gracefully anyway, and in
> > case a t/ directory appears in the future it will just be used
> > automagically.
> >
> > Hm -- rereading your words I see that you wrote "autodep8-perl-build-deps
> > fails". How exactly or what does "fails" mean?
>
> Maybe it's because I'm using an older toolchain (I'm on buster), but I
> get:
>
>     autopkgtest [12:24:44]: test autodep8-perl-build-deps: /usr/share/pkg-perl-autopkgtest/runner build-deps
>     autopkgtest [12:24:44]: test autodep8-perl-build-deps: [-----------------------
>     I: Nothing to prove, skipping.
>     autopkgtest [12:24:44]: test autodep8-perl-build-deps: -----------------------]
>     autopkgtest [12:24:45]: test autodep8-perl-build-deps:  - - - - - - - - - - results - - - - - - - - - -
>     autodep8-perl-build-deps FAIL non-zero exit status 77
>
> and sbuild registered an autopkgtest failure.

Oh right, treating exit status 77 as "skipped test which was declared
skippable", is probably newer.

I guess that is

autopkgtest (5.4) unstable; urgency=medium

  * Add support for tests declaring themselves to have been skipped

 -- Paul Gevers <elbrus@debian.org>  Mon, 02 Jul 2018 11:50:21 +0200

Although buster has 5.10, so I'm not sure about the exact timeline
even if the symptoms fit together.

On the perl side: https://bugs.debian.org/922264
(quite lengthy)
Aha, this points to a change in autodep8 which was merged exactly a
year ago, and the release is newer than buster:

autodep8 (0.19) unstable; urgency=medium

  * perl support: use tags skippable and superficial

 -- Paul Gevers <elbrus@debian.org>  Fri, 13 Sep 2019 21:49:46 +0200

So yeah, this works fine on testing an unstable, and probably with
the autodep8 from buster-backports, but not in pure buster.
("Works fine" includes all Debian infrastructure, at least I'm not
aware of any autopkgtest failure because of this exit 77.)

 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe
   `-   NP: Status Quo: Down The Dustpipe